Being a SAHM

(Stay At Home Mummy)


I feel as though my blog doesn't have much direction at the moment, although the lack of net connection might have something to do with that, or maybe it's because I am not feeling very inspired by anything of late.


Having time to reflect on the whirlwind of the last 6 months has left me feeling a little drained. I am in a beautiful country now, and feel as though I have my husband back, and we spend time as a family, which is ace. I should feel really happy, I am really happy, but drained. And feeling a little guilty. Poor William has been pulled from pillar to post since he was born, we moved 9 doors up the road when he was barely 6 weeks old, then rather than unpack and create a nice home we started doing the dreaded renovating (god I am so sick of that word now). It seemed to be that the minute we decided enough was enough and to move in with my lovely In Laws, William came on leaps and bounds. Simply having a floor to play on meant he started rolling, and commando crawling, or maybe that's just a coincidence, maybe we just moved in with The Oathams at a developmental leap in Williams age. I shouldn't feel guilty, Willy has always had a good structure and routine, and has adapted well to which ever environment he is in. I suppose as long as he has his Mummy that's all that matters, right? He has always been such a happy chap full of joy, and I suppose that's a good sign of being totally unaware of the mayhem that surrounded him. So many people have a baby whilst big things are going on around them, I know we're not the first, and I know we haven't created a monster so why the guilt?


Now we are settling in Discovery Bay, and it's nice to get into a bit of a routine ourselves. Sat mornings Mr O is actually physically here (as apposed to knocking tiles off walls or sanding things down) so I can go off for a swim, and do some excercise to try and shift this baby weight. That makes me feel good. We have our first playgroup this afternoon, which is exciting for me because Willy adores other babies so much. He met a little 12 month old boy called Conrad yesterday, whom Willy just wanted to touch, and laugh at, and copy, and eat.

Adjusting to being a SAHM is just that, an adjustment. I am not used to having to pick up someone elses clothes and socks off the floor and hang up/sling in wash. I am not used to having to cook, clean, iron, shop, wash and wipe up, that's not to say I don't enjoy it - Mr O works hard, my job is to make a nice home, but a small part of me, a very small part of me feels a little subservient at times. I don't come from a background of housewives so haven't learnt the ropes, the one person I aim to be like is my Sister - who is wonderwoman. She works, looks after kids, shops, cooks, cleans, the works, and her house and fridge is immaculate. She does it all without the help of a Mister too, the woman is amazing. I can barely keep on top of the washing up and she manages all that AND a social life!

I need more structure in my life, so I can manage to blog, excercise, run the home, and keep the men in my life happy. How do other bloggers do it? Do they just spend a certain timeframe and commit to blogging and blogging alone, and bang out piece after piece of content? Or are they chained to the laptop, only stopping to pee and drink tea and eat cake?

Thoughts please.


Comments

Gemma said…
Two things...being a mummy means u feel guilty about everything! I was sobbing my eyes out in tesco infront of the formula the other week coz I was introducing a night feed, I felt like i was letting her down!!
And I never thought I would say this either but I am so jealous of u being a SAHM, I go back in Jan and could not be dreading it more :(
On the blog front, I don't think u need direction as such, as I for one just love your 'ramblings' ;)
X
Romina said…
Hmm I don't think you should feel any guilt.....William looks like such a happy baby in all your pictures! Proof you are doing something right surely?! My work front has taken a similar turn....in that I don't have much. I'm a stay at home mum to be at 26 weeks pregnant. I am actually a self employed dance artist but work is hard to come by at the moment due to lots of funding cuts. I felt like I got married and then became the 'traditional housewife' straight away. I'd have some really down days where day time tv took over my life, all my friends were at work and my only comfort was a cup of tea and a few too many chocolate biscuits! I'm as you say 'adjusting' to the new situation and actually quite enjoying it now. I can't wait for our baby to come along to fill my day's with laughter and smelly nappies! As for your blog....I bloomin love it. It details your life and journey, whatever that maybe. It's great to hear about the little stuff sometimes, though I do feel like a nosey neighbour knowing all about your life yet not knowing you ha ha! Just keep doing what you're doing! xx

Popular Posts