Expense.

Thank goodness I am the ebay queen, because having a baby doesn't come cheap. 

There's so much you have to buy - fortunately for us I have wonderful and generous In Laws who have helped us out no end with the big stuff like the Cot, Moses Basket, Pram etc. I feel so blessed to have their help and support it makes me sad that Mum isn't here to do the same. I know she would have played a huge part in my pregnancy.....  Even a single sheet for a cot can set you back £20 and up it's crazy. But then you spend it because its your baby and you don't want any old crap for your baby.

You need equipment like a breast pump (if you're breast feeding that is, be a bit pointless getting one if you have no intention of doing a Cow impression) - which actually was one of the first things I bought, bizarre now I look back! I settled for a second hand one because brand new it was almost £100. Gulp! Then there's sterilizers and bottles, and muslins, and baby clothes, and all the stuff you need for changing nappies. So I have been stocking up on cotton wool, nappies, baby wipes. Then there's the nursery, you need new furniture, and bits to put in the nursery like baby related stuff like books, and such like. And now it's possible we might be moving so I have to start all over again elsewhere.

Then there's maternity clothing - you try and get away with wearing your existing clothes for as long as possible but you have to get a new wardrobe because the long khaki dress top that used to look great with leggings and a grey cardigan, now resembles a crop top and with your belly hanging out of the bottom you might as well wear some large gold hoop earrings, slap on some eyeliner and call yourself a Chav.

And then of course underwear. Your boobies change so much throughout that you have to buy bra's every few months - well, I did anyway. And you can't pick up a decent bra for cheap - and this isn't an item I want to buy second hand, no thank you. Nothing but good support for my ever increasing in size jubblies. And don't get me started on knickers. I refuse to wear the big beige over the belly jobbies, so early on I spent a small fortune on amazingly comfy and still quite sultry looking panties from Victorias Secret.  I didn't have to splash out on nice looking panties, I could just wear some Primark cheapies but really when you spend 17 weeks with your head down a toilet spewing, and then develop a very painful pelvis it makes a difference knowing you have super sexy knickers on! (there is method in my madness!) 

And then there's your hospital bag, you need something to wear to give birth in, something to wear after you've given birth, something to wear to go home in, massive pants to wear post birth, maternity pads, nipple pads, a light dressing gown and some slippers/flip flops, lots of juice and snacks to keep you hydrated because the chances are once you're in hosp you'll be left for hours because the NHS is so understaffed and you won't be fed or checked up on for hours on end, pillows - because you want to be as comfortable as possible. Then there's the baby bag, you need to take lots of vests, babygrows, nappies, cotton wool, even Milk if you are planning to bottle feed, and I've been told to take blankets in too because all they have is towels. 

There's so much you have to get, and that's even before the baby is here. 

And now I am not working full time it's a little daunting as to how I will adjust to getting by but that's part of being a parent isn't it, you make adjustments and you get by.




Comments

Beryl Lynn said…
Just stumbled upon your blog and had to comment.. having a baby is VERY expensive indeed! We thought we'd be covered under our health insurance for the doctor's visit and hospital but unfortunately not - and it's cost us over $8,000 USD just being pregnant and for the impending delivery! That doesn't include all of the supplies that you mentioned. No one ever talks about how expensive just being pregnant can really be!

Popular Posts