On your bike

This isn't wedding related, actually a lot of my blog isn't wedding related at all! If you go back to my posts in 2007 they're just general ramblings. A diary if you will.


This post is about Mr O and his tireless fundraising.


Mr O lost his best friend this February after his immune system took a downward turn and he contracted Swine Flu. We spent night after night holding his hand in ITU willing him to pull through, and amongst family and our group of friends we pulled together and prayed that Dixy would make it. Unfortunately, Dixy wasn't intended to have a long life for the Consultant called us at work one friday, to notify us they would be turning off the life support machine, there was no more they could do for him. 


A surreal feeling to know we were at the end of the road. A tragic feeling to know that deep down, Dixy had already passed on to a better place and that the hardest thing would be for us to let him go.


I know I sound rather airy fairy about life and death, I am a deep person and I have survived through situations in life that make me learn from them, and grow stronger. Having been there when my Mum and my Grandpa passed away I know the beauty of being able to kiss someone goodbye. 


We were all lucky enough to be present when the switch flicked off. We all kissed him goodbye and sent him on his way with a very loving energy, we surrounded his bed and with our hands clinging to his body for dear life, as if the energy we conjured between us would be enough to bring him back. We knew there was no turning back and we watched him take his last breath. Beautifully tragic. 


How blessed I feel to have been present at the end of the life of someone who was the truest person I had ever met. 


We all carried each other through afterwards too.


So ever since, Mr O has frantically busied himself with fundraising for the ITU, please check out his blog below:


Paul Dix Memorial


He writes beautifully, and I'm hoping to feature him on RockMyWedding in a few weeks time in my What Jenny Did section, because he can give the guys over at IamStaggered a run for their money!


The 'Dixy Kings' have raised a phenomoninal amount of money, to help the ITU buy the high frequency oscillator machine that Dixy was put on to help his lungs recover. I've even dressed as a constultant and stood in Marks and Spencers all day long bag packing for small change! Most recently the guys rode from London to Cambridge, in about 4.5 hours which is blimmin amazing! 




If you feel like doing something wonderful today, then check out Mr O's blog, and if you're feeling extra charitable, donate online:


http://www.justgiving.com/pauldixmemorial

http://www.justgiving.com/matthewoatham

xx

Comments

Popular Posts