The Getaway Car

Over the last few months, I have actively been trying to source my dream wedding vehicle.

I am guity of being a bit of a petrol head. In the sense that I love cars, VW's especially (yep, I'm one of them girls!). I love everything to do with VW. And I also love Jeremy Clarkson. And James May (the posh one). My dream dinner party guests would be Marilyn Monroe, Dita Von Teese, Stephen Fry, and the Top Gear team. A cocophony of hot women and intelligent men who know that a real conversation doesn't include the words 'boobs' 'football' or 'beer'.

I do have my girly side, I mean Marilyn Monroe was my childhood idol. I was obsessed with her, still am in a sense. A beautiful woman with a darker undercurrent, she fascinates me and I used to pour over portraits of her admiring her beauty (and bone structure!). But I'm not girly in the sense that I love all things pink!  So I wanted to have a wedding car that wasn't down the traditional route of Rolls Royce and what not.

Another thing about cars is that when I first got together with Duncan from Blue I remember telling him how my dream car would be a Mark 1 Golf Gti. These cars legendaryily retro (did I just make up a word?) and they're from a good era. The early 80's!  He agreed with me, as it was also his dream car (great minds think alike hey) and before I knew it he turns up at my house one day in an immaculate, retro as you like, 26 year old Mark 1 Golf Gti. She is beautiful. And she goes like the clappers! Not easy to get out of with a wedding dress on though, I'm so tall my knees are up by my ears when I sit in it. Not a good look.

So the hunt was on for my dream wedding car. A VW Splitscreen Camper from the 60's. That was based relatively local. I had two options. Portsmouth. Or Devon. Devon is too far! So it was the first option.  Her name was Bessie and I fell in love with her. I drooled over photo's of her on a regular basis and so after practically trying to throw my money at the company that owned her, I was told a few weeks ago that they are no longer trading. So Bessie wasn't coming to my wedding. What a let down!

Back to square one. And to practicing getting in and out of the Golf with a ladylike stance.

I spent a few weeks googling like mad, I emailed VW Clubs, put notices up here there and everywhere, I searched Facebook for Van owners that were local, surely someone out there had the Van of my dreams and would be willing to take an hour out of their Saturday for a sizeable financial reward?

I had no luck.

At this rate I'd be walking to the church.

Then somehow I found a link through good old Google. www.vanillasplits.com

Then I found Brian. The most handsome splitscreen I have ever seen. I frantically emailed Duncan from Blue the link, I checked availability and prices etc and it all seemed to be fine – before you know it I've got the credit card out and I'm booking him online. Bish bash bosh, job done! 




 

 













Isn't he handsome?

I think I love him. And no need to worry about kneeing myself in the face when getting out to make my grand entrance!

Comments

Popular Posts